Keto diet has caught the attention of fitness enthusiasts all over the world who wish to eat food that keeps them healthy. According to experts, we should include green vegetables, leaves, nuts and eggs in our diet while sugar, grains, liquid carbohydrates and high sugar fruits are not supposed to be consumed during keto diets.
Indian food is always seen with a lens of apprehension regarding its high calories and higher carb content. But it is very much possible to prepare entirely keto meals by sticking to our Indian cuisine as well. Many of the dishes that we regularly eat are either keto-friendly or they can be made so by replacing some ingredients very easily. Let us look at a hearty keto friendly Indian meal that can be consumed for dinner.
When following a keto diet, grains like rice or wheat should strictly not be consumed. But as Indians, it is difficult to part ways from our staple chawal and roti. The perfect alternative to regular rice is keto cauliflower rice. Let us see how to make it.
- ½ cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Cut the cauliflower florets into small pieces.
- Put the florets in a food processor and grind till the texture starts resembling semolina or small grain rice.
- Heat up the olive oil and stir fry the cauliflower rice. Add salt and pepper.
This quintessential Indian curry can be made keto friendly very easily. Since paneer, or cottage cheese is unprocessed, it qualifies as a great keto friendly option. Let us make this delicious spinach gravy and eat it guilt-free while on a keto diet.
- 3 cups spinach
- 200 gms paneer
- ½ cup fat free cream
- 1 tsp dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cm ginger
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Roughly chop the spinach and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Add garlic, ginger, onion and tomato to it.
- Add a pinch of salt and cook till 2 whistles.
- Let the boiled spinach cool, meanwhile, cut the paneer into small cubes.
- Using a food processor, make the spinach into a thick, smooth paste.
- Now, heat up the oil in a pan.
- Add the spinach mixture.
- After stirring for 4-5 minutes, add the powdered spices.
- After the colour of the gravy changes, add the paneer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- Add the fat free cream.
- Keto palak paneer is ready!
Bhindi stir fry
For dry sabzi with your cauliflower rice, you can go with the crispy stir bhindi that has been a part of our regular meals since forever. But did you know, this dish is very keto-friendly too? Let’s see how to make bhindi fry for a good keto dinner.
- 200 gms bhindi
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 Tsp dhaniya powder
- 1/4 Tsp jeera powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt as required
- Dice the bhindi into small pieces.
- Heat the oil and add bhindi.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add salt and turmeric.
- The bhindi will become moist. Wait for it to dry up and then add all the powdered spices.
- Cover the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Check if the bhindi is soft.
- Remove from flame and serve with cauliflower rice and keto palak paneer.
If you think you cannot enjoy Indian desserts while on a keto diet, wait till you try this rich and smooth almond halwa. This is a great replacement for besan or atte ka halwa and dare we say, tastes the same or even better than those. Here is a recipe.
- 1.5 cups Almond flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- a pinch of Saffron
- Almonds for garnishing
- Heat the ghee in a pan.
- Slowly add the almond flour and keep stirring.
- When the colour of the flour changes along with a nice aroma, add almond milk.
- Keep stirring so that the halwa does not stick to the pan.
- Add the stevia and cardamom powder.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add saffron.
- Serve with almond nuts as topping.
This keto-friendly dinner is nothing very different from a regular Indian meal, yet it is very low on carbs and the perfect dinner to fulfill the nutrient needs of your body. Prepare this keto dinner and enjoy it with your family.